Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Some many titles, so little time...

After my post about the piles of undesirable books I have acquired from my coworker (bless her heart, but I just can't bring myself to read half of those books!), I decided to take some of your advice and looked up used book stores in Chicago. There are a good handful of them scattered around the city. Most try to be all high brow and snooty, snubbing our favorite authors and genre. What are they thinking? Why ignore the biggest money maker in publishing? Silly, pretentious book snobs. After checking out a couple of places online, I found one that stated on their website that they sell romances. Huzzah! I loaded up a bag with 15 books I did not want (that is their limit of trade ins per visit) and headed out the door. I arrived at Kate the Great's Used Books this evening after a full day of teaching. Baby, I was ready for some books! The place is small and cozy, with walls covered in books. There is not an immense selection, but it is pretty good. The gal behind the counter was friendly and knowledgeable, chatting about favorite authors and books in romance. They bought back 10 or 12 of my books and started my trade in account. With $12 in credit, I started my shopping! Their policy states that you can pay half of your total with trade in credit. They will keep a record of any addition credit you have accrued. Fantastic! I am so pleased! I unloaded 15 books (the ones they did not take are being donated), I purchased 4 books, and still have over $4 in credit waiting to be spent. Oh happy day!!!

Now, between the trip to Kate the Great's and my stop at the library yesterday, I have more than enough books to read. What is in my pile, you ask?

White Lies by Jayne Ann Krentz
The Paid Companion by Amanda Quick
The Raven Prince by Elizabeth Hoyt
Dreaming of You by Lisa Kleypas
Agnes and the Hitman by Jennifer Cruisie and Bob Mayer
Midnight Bayou by Nora Roberts
Forget Prince Charming by Natalie Stenzel
Kiss of Crimson by Lara Adrian

Where do I even begin? Oh wait, with White Lies. That one of due back to the library... tomorrow. Oops. Gotta renew that one. Kiss of Crimson will have to wait. I refuse to read it before I read Kiss of Midnight. I have that whole reading a series in order OCD. Sadly, they did not have a copy of KofM.

Ah, there is nothing quite like that feeling of looking at a new pile of books, all just waiting to be read. It is a pile of possibilities. A pile of mystery. A pile of romance. A pile that is loudly calling my name!

5 comments:

Carolyn Crane said...

Oh, NICE pile. I'd go for the Raven Prince. I haven't read that one yet and I want to.
We have two UBS nearby that will buy used romance etc, but they're very picky and they don't know what they're doing, frankly. I've had them pass up really obvious greats for weird ones. I had one guy try to tell me, like, a Sookie Stackhouse book would never sell. What?

Thea said...

That is quite a pile! I have had Dreaming of You sitting on my TBR for ages now.

Psst--tagged you for a meme :)

Jill D. said...

You have got some good books in that pile. I think you should get started with Dreaming of You, followed by Agnes and the Hitman and then The Raven Prince. That should get you started!

Shannon said...

I am so excited by how many books I have been able to move from my TBR list to my TBR pile. It is so much better to have them physically in my apartment!

Sarai said...

I like that you suffer from OCD when it comes to series (I have a really bad case) Good luck. I just put a bunch on my library reads. Stuff I am interested in but not enough interest to buy.