Tuesday, April 22, 2008

What do you think?

The other day I was having a very interesting conversation with a friend of mine. We were discussing how we received our sex education. My mother was very open. She sat me down when I was in 4th or 5th grade and gave me The Talk. You know the one I am talking about...

"Someday soon your body will start to mature. You will become a young woman..."

I got descriptions, explanations, and the diagram of the "upside down pear". In later years, she was the one who told me about The Baton (a drag bar in Chicago) and introduced me to the wonderful world of Sue Johanson (the sex grandma on Oxygen channel.) My friend, on the other hand, learned nothing from his mom. Apparently, she is rather conservative about sex. He gave credit to Love Line for his sex ed. I had to agree. Love Line was an eye opening show. My poor virgin mind would real from some of the things I heard on there. Actually, it was more that it boggled my mind that people are that stupid. Oy!

The other source that I admitted to gaining my education from was the romance novel. Oh, the things I have learned from the pages of a good book. My friend's response? "Huh, I have never read one of those." That made me giggle. The thought of him kicking back with a Regency romance? Priceless!

That got me thinking, though. What if he was actually open to reading one? I could see him agreeing to do so, if only out of curiosity. Then again, I could also see him approaching it as research. Research that, put into action, would be greatly appreciated. SO... the question I ask of you is this:

What book(s) would you recommend for a first time male romance reader?

2 comments:

Kristie (J) said...

I'd start with Naked in Death - it has the murder plot that guys might appreciate, yet it has the relationship between Eve and Roarke. And - if he likes it, you have an ongoing look at a marriage where the two parties are willing to compromise - although a guy might think Roarke gives in a bit too much - something many of us appreciate *g*.
Another bonus *g* is the author is JD Robb *wink* so it might not seem as obvious he's reading a female author - if that matters.

Bridget Locke said...

First off, I got my sex ed from my mom. She was up front & to the point and never made sex embarassing. Bless her! :)

I second Kristie J! The Eve Dallas books would be a great start.

Also, you might think about the Mercy Thompson books by Patricia Briggs. They're more Urban Fantasy, but there's definitely romance in them. Kind of slow start, but something to try. :)