Sunday, September 14, 2008

Midnight Breed question

I just finished reading Kiss of Crimson, which I loved 100 times more that Kiss of Midnight (not that KoM was bad, just not as good.)  The H&h were strong, complex characters.  Tess was a heroine that you could cheer for, that you actually liked (yeah, I'm giving you a baleful look, Marrisa!)  Then there was Dante.  Oh, Dante, you must come live in my hut!  I completely bought his change from die-hard-bachelor-warrior to die-for-his-woman-Alpha-lover.  Oh baby!  I am thoroughly enjoying the world building and writing that Ms. Adrian gives us readers.  The Rogues are a real and scary threat, and Adrian does not hesitate to sacrifice likable characters to ratchet up the intensity.  Sure there were a few WTF moments.  I mean, seriously, Tess must have been pretty damn flexible to be able to sit on the bathroom counter while giving Dante some oral lovin'.  I know he is tall, but not that tall.

Here is my question for those of you who have read past book 2:  Ms. Adrian develops these great heroines for our heros to fall in love with.  They are smart, sexy, independent and talented (at their jobs and psychically.)  Once they become a Breedmate and give up their lives for the men they love (because this is essentially what they have to do) what do these women do?  There is no mention of Savannah having a job.  Does Gabrielle still do her photography?  Does Tess continue to practice veterinary medicine?  Or do they all just hide away in the compound all day, too terrified to leave without their men?  Someone please tell me the Breedmates aren't completely stripped of their identities once they have bonded!

8 comments:

Nicola O. said...

There are some indicators that uh, whatshername from the first book is using her vampire-GPS to help the guys find Rogue hideouts. And Tess spends a lot of time patching up the guys. But for the most part they fade into the background in future books.

Bridget Locke said...

This is the one thing I really don't like about these books...the heroines basically disappear, though they do show up en masse for the last book (brainfarting on the name...it's late and I'm tired). Of course, it's to chew out the heroine in that book which was quite entertaining...I think. LOL! I think I shouldn't comment when it's late at night and I haven't read these books in awhile. However, I still like these books just because I do. he-he

Kati said...

Yeah, I have to agree. They all have some sort of profession, which they don't give up (I think?!) but they aren't really part of the story. I always just kind of assume that they are working off screen.

But maybe I'm wrong.

Carolyn Crane said...

Shannon,
It's true, and that really is too bad. Like, the vet woman becomes the warriors' doctor, sort of. In the most recent book, the heroine has a pretty significant part in the plot and helping to fight the bad guys that goes beyond what these books typically do, but yes, the women do fade. It's seems like they just hang around the compound. I, too, wish they could keep their jobs.

Still, I'm so loving the series! It just gets better and better, IMHO

Tracy said...

Nope I'm thinking I don't recall them doing things in later books. Tess heals but other than that? uh-uh. Bummer really cuz they are strong professional women.

Shannon said...

See, I really liked the book when I finished it, but the more I think about this the more it bugs me. Why create such wonderful heroines to later reduce them to insignificance?

Kristie (J) said...

The one heroine remains a Vet I think doesn't she?
Come to think of it though, we don't really know what they do after.

Christine said...

Each of the heroines have some kind of ability that is useful to the warriors cause. I like to think that they are using their talents to do something constructive, which I think they would definitely be doing if they lived in a Haven. I guess they've all chosen to stand by their men in the warrior compound so that their mates don't give up on the war just to keep the females safe in a Haven. Let's not be too critical here. I mean, if it were me, I would give up a career so that my mate could continue is fight to save his race. Would you?

I'm also hopeful that the mates of these warriors will fulfill an important purpose in the final showdown with the Rogues. I won't hold my breath, though. That kind of thing just leads to major disappointment. *cough*Ward*cough* ;-)