Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Back to School

Today was the first day of school. All my students returned, full of energy, more or less ready for a new school year. They met their new teachers and received their new books. Packets went home. Inside these packets was a reading list for the year. I got a peek at this list today. Oh, the memories! My advanced 8th graders are reading two of my all-time favorite school reads.


The story, the characters, they live in my memory as vividly as the students I shared a classroom with, perhaps even stronger. These books fed my love of reading, introducing me to a style of writing with more depth and meaning than what I had previously read. I thank Ms. Bradbury for that all the time. She was, without a doubt, one of the best teachers I have ever had.






So with the school year off to a fresh start, I ask you this: What books live in your memory as integral parts of your childhood and education?

2 comments:

Danni said...

Lol the only book I can remember reading in middle school was Where the Red Fern Grows. It was a really good book, but I remember the movie made me cry.

Shannon said...

You know, that is one book that I have never read. How did that happen?

Yeah, I remember when we watched Glory in 8th grade History. I was a hot mess!