Monday, September 14, 2009

Filling the time

Sometimes when you are in a slump the best thing to do is to step away from the TBR pile. It can be daunting standing there staring at so many books that you know would be wonderful were you not thus afflicted. The guilt and anxiety start to set in. You want to reassure the TBR pile that you love it, but are just not in the mood. No matter what you say, feeling are hurt. You need to take a step back, take some time for yourself. You and your TBR need to be on a break.

So what do you do during this time of personal reflection? Clean the house? Balance your checkbook? Organize all those recipes you have cut out of magazines only to shove in between the cookbooks on the shelf? Heck no! Why waste perfectly good reflection time on productive tasks?

Right now I am spending that time on my crafty endeavors. I console myself with the thought that crocheting is an activity that I could not do while reading, therefore the time spent with hook and yarn is not time which could have involved a book. Ok, ok, I could be listening to an audio book, but that would require going to the library where shelves and shelves of books would taunt me. Oh yeah, and there is that issue of a large (LARGE) overdue fine I have not yet paid.

Instead I am having fun with yarn. I'm even getting a jump start on Christmas gifts. ::ducks as people start throwing things:: I have been working on one sooper secrit project. It's a gift. It was actually off-handedly requested. ("You know, you could make me something. With hands! That has thumbs!" He wants to use it in his classroom.) He probably doesn't remember saying that, but I do. There are times when a long distance relationship has it's advantages: it is much easier to make someone gifts when they are not around to see them. I finished it today. Wanna see? I can't post it anywhere else (Facebook) or he will see it. It must remain a SOOPER SECRIT! Here she is!

So what do you do to fill the time when you step away from the TBR pile?

10 comments:

KT Grant said...

That is so adorable!! Look at your crafty skills. :D

Tracy said...

That is totally adorable. You're really good! Keep up the good work. :)

Christine said...

Oh my goodness! How adorable!!

I love crafts. I should do more. But then I'd be reading and blogging even less than I already do. LOL

Shannon said...

Thanks ladies! I am rather rpoud of her. I am on a crocheting kick, but finally made time to read, and boy howdy, am I ever glad!!!

Oh, Christine, I bought my plane ticket. I'll be in Jersey Oct 8-12. Gian has to work on the 9th (Friday), so I may be entertaining myself for the day. Wanna meet up? Katie, how about you?

Christine said...

I'm free on Oct. 9 from about 9 am to 2:30 pm! I'm sending you an email.... :)

Shannon said...

Christine- What a coincidence, that is exactly when Gian will be occupied with teaching ;) I'll keep my eyes peeled for your email.

Christine said...

LOL That's because those are the hours my kids are in school! =p

Anonymous said...

So, cute & a very good content blog free dating services http://tringuladating.com/ a dating services providing site where you can registered for free and can send the dating proposals.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Asia Carrera - A for Asia